Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lab #3
My life without media for a week wasn’t too bad overall. The first few days were really rough though. I’m constantly on my computer and I had trouble finding things to do besides get on facebook. I did use my computer once however to write an English essay but I think that should be an exception. I also recently bought an xbox 360 and I had trouble avoiding that especially because my roommate was constantly playing it. I don’t watch too much TV so avoiding that wasn’t a problem. I actually found myself getting my work done earlier and actually getting to bed at a somewhat reasonable hour. During the time that would be taken up with media I practiced more and did my homework. I really should spend less time on the computer and by avoiding it for a week I was definitely more productive and I think I will try to incorporate less media into my life.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's really great that you actually went without media for a week. I'm sure that was really hard. I could not imagine having to do without my computer for a whole week. I do agree that it would make me much more productive though. I don't think people realize how dependent we are on the media and if more people had to go through this it would definitely change their perspective.

    -Josette Roten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep is certainly the first thing to suffer in my experience with media. I'm guilty of staying up late late late late on the internet too, or just procrastinating on the web. I wonder how many NCSA students would come to class well rested or come out into the gallery if they had no computer or gaming systems in their rooms?
    ~Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo. Who did this lab? I'm interested. I think it's remarkable the difference you noticed in just a few days without media. What if you stopped (or cut back) for a month, a year? How different would your life be at the end of that year. I think you answered your own question about what it would be like to be without media. Thanks for keeping the open mind and for the great lab!

    ReplyDelete