Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lab #14

For Lab #14, we pondered over who was someone very different from the three of us. We landed on Dario Calabro, a junior saxophone major here at NCSA. Dario was born in Winston-Salem, but when he was six months old, he moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina, where he lived for nine years before moving back to King, North Carolina. He speaks Spanish as a first language and had many interesting and insightful things to say about how he bridged the wide cultural gap between Argentina and the United States. For one thing, there are fewer large restaurant chains in Argentina, and the family structure is massive, extended, and extremely important (he told me that it is not uncommon to have 50-person family gatherings every weekend!).

The interview (successfully uploaded to Youtube after most of a day...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9vG2eHceVM

5 comments:

  1. This interview really impressed me. I am fascinated by the cultural differences, especially the family bonds in Argentina.

    Good job, guys!
    -Becca Blank

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine having family gatherings every week... let alone having 50+ people to GO to the family gatherings. My direct family barely sits down to have dinner together (and it is only my parents and i left in the house!). Anyway, I also think the food differences is interesting. Is America really so busy that we cannot buy good food to cook rather than a wannabe cheeseburger and greasy french fries?? I think I'll move to Argentina.

    Thanks guys! This was really cool to watch.

    -Abi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved this video. I find it so interesting to compare the cultures in other countries with our own. On the one hand, this makes you realize some aspects of your life you take for granted that other cultures do not enjoy. On the other hand, investigation of other cultures can truly lead to a reevaluation of the corrupt and degradative aspects of our society that we come to accept after our constant exposure to them. For me personally, this had increased interest, because of my international family. My grandmother immigrated from England, and my grandfather from South Africa. My aunt, uncle, and cousins (who used to live in Australia) now live in India, which has been a constant stress upon our family due to the unstable current political climate. The international nature of my family as increased my interest and desire to understand other cultures. In doing so, we can see the differences in social capital between other countries and our own, and if utilized perfectly, we may use this information to better our social capital.
    Samantha Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really great lab. I got to see it in class and I learned a lot about other culture's perspective in the differences in the US and Argentina. I have met and spent time with my friends exchange students from Argentina and the things and cultural differences that Dario talked about in the video were familiar from the girls that i met. Good job guys!
    Libby Childers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great lab! You guys did a really nice job. But hey, where are the other labs. I only see 4. And where are the pictures for the voting lab. Did you give me a disc? What gives?

    ReplyDelete