Sunday, April 12, 2009

First Amendment Test

I scored a 25 out of 30 on the First Amendment Quiz. The wrong answers I received were mostly because I went with what I wanted to be true instead of the actual truth of the matter; often, I wish our rights were just expanded that tiny bit more, but at the same time, I know that there are those who would abuse those rights (such as the Westboro Baptist Church).
One question that struck me was regarding private schools that receive government funding, and the censorship of speech or press of students there. Apparently, even though the government does provide financial support for these schools, they are still allowed to censor and restrict students' First Amendment rights while they are on campus. I found this surprising, and thought that surely if the government caught wind of this activity, they would pull their support, but apparently it is perfectly legal, as the injection of federal dollars does not make the administrators of the school government actors. Food for thought.

-Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment